background

Thursday, September 27, 2012

the battle: what i am.

Let me tell you.  This awareness of my food addiction has made my life hard and depressing at times.  Over the last couple of weeks I have began to see how dependent I actually am on sugar.  My body begins to have some serious withdrawals.  It's terrible!  But I am determined, by God's grace and power alone, to overcome this.  Jesus defeated death!! so He can certainty defeat an addiction such as this.

My focus has changed.  It is no longer about weight loss. {plus the battery is dead in my scale and I'm not in a hurry to replace it, hahaha}  I do not want to be defined or controlled by anything other than Jesus.  I want everything I say and do to point to Him.  My reason for this journey is to get closer to the one who made me not to fit into a size 2...or even an 8 {although, that'd be nice}.

I don't have answers on the 'how to' to share.  I know it is a day-by-day, hour-by-hour, and at times, minute-by-minute choice to allow Him to be in control and not the sugar-fill snack that stares me in the face.

A couple of months ago I began reading, "Made To Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst {don't you just love how her name is spelled!?}. If you are on this journey too I highly recommend this book {no, I was not paid to type that and I actually have not made it all the way through yet}.   I'm in the midst of chapter 8 right now but something hit home with me in chapter 6 that I do not want to forget.  She talks about how we identify ourselves, as in, "by your family relationships {as a wife, mother, daughter, aunt}, by a professional title or lack of one, or by where you live or go to church."  She also touches on how we define our selves by our circumstances, like: Marcey, the abused girl from a broken home, Marcey, the one rejected and emotionally scared by her own mother, or Marcey, the one who wonders if she'll ever be 'good enough'.

Lysa asks: "Have you ever felt your identity was defined by your circumstances?"  Um, yes!  As I sit here and let that question sink in, I realize that I do this far more often than I was aware of.  Ouch...

Okay, so the part that I want to remember is the list of affirmations straight from scripture that Lysa lists.  Insert your name in place of mine and just let the truth of God's endless love sink into your soul.

Marcey, the forgiven child of God.
"and all are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:24

Marcey, the set-free child of God. 
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1-2

Marcey, the accepted child of God. 
"...to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be His hold people, together with all everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ - their Lord and ours:" 1 Corinthians 1:2

Marcey, the hold child of God. 
"It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God - that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption." 1 Corinthians 1:30

Marcey, the made-new child of God. 
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

Marcey, the loved child of God
"For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be hold an blameless in His sight in love." Ephesians 1:4

Marcey, the close child of God. 
"But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ." Ephesians 2:13

Marcey, the confident child of God.
 "In Him and through faith in Him we may approach God with freedom and confidence." Ephesians 3:12

Marcey, the victorious child of God. 
"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us."

WOW!!!  I dare you to write or type those out.  Open up your Bible, read it in the Word, then write it.  My soul is filled by those truths!  I am in awe of His great love for me.  I AM MADE FOR MORE than to be controlled by food.  I am a forgiven, set-free, accepted, holy, made-new, loved, close, confident, victorious, child of God.  And you, my dear friend, are too!

forever His,
♥marcey

3 comments:

  1. Marcey - the girl I want to hug right now!

    Identity...also why I'm not a cancer survivor but a warrior instead. Any woman who claims to NEVER have been defined by her circumstances is floatin' de river Nile. My circumstances SHAPE me, but do not DEFINE me. But for a long time I lived under a defining weight and it's the ugly place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, it is easy to get stuck in those ruts of being defined by your past. You certainly inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your heart! You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete